Poached Peaches, Boysenberry Compote & Lemon Shortbread
6 whole peaches
4 cups water
3 cups caster sugar
Juice and zest of one lemon
1. In a large saucepan add water, sugar, lemon juice and zest.
2. Bright to the boil to dissolve the sugar.
3. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the whole peaches.
4. Poach gently until cooked.
5. Remove from heat and allow the peaches to cool in the liquid.
6. Once cool enough to handle, remove peaches from the liquid and peel away the skins.
7. Rest 4 peeled peaches in the cooled poaching liquid. In a food processor, purée two de-seeded peaches until smooth. Set aside the peach purée for plate garnish.
2 cups water
2 cups caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 cinnamon quill
2 star anise
1. In a medium saucepan add water, caster sugar, vanilla, cinnamon quill and star anise.
2. On a high heat bring to the boil to dissolve sugar and reduce the liquid by half.
3. Add the berries to the saucepan and bring back to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
4. Continue to cook for a further 8-10 minutes then remove the compote from the heat. Allow to cool completely before serving.
225g plain flour
25g corn flour
100g icing sugar
Zest of one lemon
200g cold unsalted butter, diced
1 small egg yolk
1 tsp thickened cream
Preheat oven to 180C
1. In a food processor add flour, corn flour, icing sugar, salt and lemon zest. Pulse a few times to mix.
2. Add the diced butter and pulse until just combined, similar to a coarse bread crumb texture.
3. Add egg yolk and cream and pulse until dough is formed.
4. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and using your hands, shape the dough into a ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
5. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out onto a lightly floured work surface to a half centimetre thickness. Using a cookie cutter cut the pastry into discs and place on lined baking tray.
7. Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes – until just starting to colour.
8. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Arrange on a plate one whole poached peach, a tablespoon dollop of boysenberry compote, a tablespoon dollop of peach purée and one lemon shortbread disc. Top the disc with one scoop of kefir ice-cream and serve immediately.