Makes approximately 1 litre
1 cup thickened cream
3 cups Blue Bay Kefir
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
10 free-range egg yolks
350g caster sugar
1. In a saucepan add cream, vanilla pod and scraped seeds and bring to a simmer to allow vanilla to infuse.
2. In a mixing bowl add egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until well combined.
3. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture into the bowl of eggs and sugar while continuing to whisk.
4. Next whisk the kefir into the same bowl with eggs and cream. Whisk until combined.
5. Return the whole mixture to the saucepan and bring to a low heat, continuing to stir with a wooden spoon or spatula. This ‘tempers’ or stabilises the egg yolks but be careful – if the temperature is too hot the yolks may scramble. The mixture should thicken slightly.
6. Remove from heat and strain to remove vanilla pod.
7. Refrigerate the anglaise and stir every 10 minutes until completely cold. This will help to prevent the anglaise splitting.
8. Refer to your ice-cream machine directions to churn the mixture into ice-cream.
Serve with Poached Peaches, Boysenberry Compote & Lemon Shortbread.